Ultra-personalized AI-enabled Journey Wellness
This article highlights a revolutionary new approach to offering Ultra-Personalised, Artificial Intelligence-Enabled Healthcare from Cortex Logic which is set to transform the way medical aid schemes, consumers and corporates offering employee benefits as part of their EAP (Employee Assistance Programmes) view their current healthcare offering. The Journey Wellness platform is perfectly timed to coincide with the current global shift in Healthcare, as the focus moves from a disease-management model to one that encourages optimum health and disease-avoidance, targeting younger as well as existing members with a holistic, pro-active offering.
Journey Wellness was also recently introduced through the articles “Access To AI-Driven Platforms Can Improve Health And Financial Wellness – Cortex Group” and “This New AI-Enabled, Personalised Healthcare Platform Wants To Revolutionize Wellness & Healthcare In SA” as well as a number of presentations and interviews by Dr Jacques Ludik, Founder and CEO of Cortex Logic and President of the Machine Intelligence Institute of Africa | MIIA, who has also recently written a book called ‘Democratizing Artificial Intelligence to Benefit Everyone’. He says that the Journey Wellness platform will provide more healthcare, to more people, faster.
- Dr Jacques Ludik discussing Journey Wellness on SAFM Radio’s The Hill Point Interview (26 July 2021)
- Dr Jacques Ludik presented at the AI and the Future of Healthcare Summit hosted by Machine Learning Africa on 28 October 2021 on “Ultra-personalized AI-enabled Healthcare and Wellness”. See also chapter 7 in his book “Democratizing Artificial Intelligence to Benefit Everyone” on this topic (E-book, Audio book and Paperback book now available world-wide).
- Dr Jacques Ludik has presented on “AI-enabled, ultra-personalized health wellness” at the TYAN International AI Workshop on 4 December 2020 (2ND AFRICAN SYMPOSIUM AND 3RD TYAN INTERNATIONAL THEMATIC VIRTUAL WORKSHOP ON BIG DATA, ANALYTICS, AND MACHINE INTELLIGENCE). Theme: Data Science for Solution-Driven and Sustainable Response to Current Developing World Challenges
- Journey Wellness platform: Medical scheme perspective:
- Journey Wellness platform: Employer perspective
- Ultra-personalized AI-enabled Journey Wellness Platform – early prototype demo
Dr Ludik explained that its AI-enabled, ultra-personalized health wellness platform, called Journey Wellness here in South Africa, provides real-time, relevant, on-demand and proactive guidance, advice, support and recommendations to help optimize a user’s wellness whilst ensuring high standards of data privacy and choice.
The system makes use of the Cortex AI engine to build a holistic and dynamic 360-degree wellness profile and has an AI-driven personalized wellness coach that provides information and personalized advice, coaching and guidance with respect to healthy eating and diet, exercise and fitness, mental wellness and health with a specific focus on chronic lifestyle diseases.
Apart from having access to these deep domain knowledge on wellness-related knowledge bases and building up rich user interaction data and personalized context of the individual’s wellness state over time, the platform connects with a spectrum of data sources such as digitized health risk assessments and surveys embedded within the platform, wearable devices, medical claims data, employee data, and other external health and wellness data. Each of these data sources are mined by the AI engine to enrich the individual’s wellness profile, provide insights and predictive analysis. The more the user interacts with the wellness platform and its virtual coach, the better the system captures and learns the user’s specific wellness profile and underlying dynamics to improve on the quality, proactiveness and relevancy of the personalized advice, coaching and guidance over time.
Several healthcare companies are still trapped in the past and not yet using AI, which has endless possibilities. Cortex’s health and financial wellness platforms aim for a significant impact in South Africa and the rest of the continent.
Corporates and medical schemes are realising that they need to offer their employees and members wellness and EAP benefits that move beyond expensive, reactive, chemical care to cost-effective, proactive preventative primary care.
“Globally, an ever-increasing portion of healthcare spend and focus is shifting to promote wellness and wellbeing, rather than responding to illness,” says Lara Wayburne, a respected Healthcare Actuary consulting to Cortex Logic and part of the development team of the Journey Wellness Platform.
“Healthcare analysts predict that over the coming decade the focus on wellness and wellbeing can reduce overall healthcare costs by as much as 30%,” says Wayburne.
“Journey Wellness enables that future by empowering and engaging consumers to better understand the drivers that impact their health and therefore be more actively involved in managing their own health. By doing so, the Journey Wellness ecosystem encourages positive health-seeking behaviour, promoting better physical and mental health.”
Guest: Lara Wayburne | Health Actuary
The Journey Wellness is a new AI-enabled, personalised healthcare platform. It aims to transform the way medical aid schemes, consumers and corporates offering employee benefits as part of their Employee Assistance Programmes view their current healthcare offering. As a ultra-personalised wellness coach, it helps in understanding your health status, associated health risks and better manage your health.
Journey Wellness offers a number of benefits for Medical Schemes, Corporates and End-Users:
- Employer Groups will benefit from the cost savings inherent in moving from expensive, reactive, chemical care to cost-effective, proactive preventative primary care for their members and employees. This will result in increased productivity, increased employee engagement, reduced absenteeism and cost-savings to all involved.
- Medical Scheme providers will benefit from the cost savings inherent in moving from expensive, reactive, chemical care to cost-effective, proactive preventative primary care for their members.
- Healthcare Providers will benefit from having a 360-degree view of their patients that will improve wellness proactively without costly chemical intervention, usually at the reactive stage and will also empower patients with continuous self-care.
- And, Consumers will benefit from a Holistic Wellness Solution and the reduced need for expensive healthcare options, improved wellbeing, rewards for engagement and ultimately having a personalised wellness coach on hand at all times to help them understand their health status and associated risks and better manage their health and improve quality of life.
“Essentially, Journey is a cost-effective, pro-active, personalised and engaged AI health companion that will improve health outcomes for everyone involved – the medical scheme provider, employers, employees, healthcare providers and ultimately the end-user consumer who will benefit from personalised, proactive healthcare with the added benefits of cost savings all-round,” says Dr Ludik.
“Overall, it’s a win-win scenario in which technology, data and analytics foster a collaborative and progressive healthcare environment, creating an ecosystem for improved wellbeing one step at a time that benefits everyone,” says Wayburne.
See journeywellness.co.za for more details.
Jacques Ludik Podcast: